Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Making some Changes

So I have been really tired of the state that our house is staying in lately (well for awhile now.). I decided that I was gonna change it and I was NOT doing it alone. So I have made the girls & I little chore charts. For me if it is not wrote down then it probably is not gonna happen. If I write it down I usually get better results! LOL!

I have worked very hard to figure out the best way for the girls to understand where their things go. I even went and bought a shelf for the little baskets to help. Everything has a place and they know it but now to reinforce it and make it routine and normal.
 
The girls chores are very easy here is the chart I have made them:



The x's are the days they do the certain chore. They both have their own laundry day where they can help me do their laundry from washing, drying, folding and putting away. At the end of the week they will get a treat (money, dollar store, etc.) for doing the chores. I have also made it clear that they have to start keeping their toys cleaned up and taken care of. I hope that this habit will be well established by their bday. I have told them that if that cant take care of their stuff then their bday things will stay packed up until they learn. I hate to do that but it gets really overwhelming for me to do everything for 4ppl with no help. They have gotten bad recently about just where every they are standing to drop trash, toys, whatever and just leave it! I am not ok with that. They are almost 5 years old and they know where things belong.

My chore chartS are a little more advance unfortunately! LOL!
  
(from left to right: my daily chart, laundry, then flylady)

Daily Chart: My daily chart has what days I will "deep" clean each area of the house as well as daily things to do. Bathrooms, vacuuming, dusting, sweeping and mopping are the "deep" cleaning things I want accomplished weekly. Then things like making beds, unload and loading the dishwasher, going through the mail, etc are daily things I want done. 

 Laundry Chart: I saw an email from Fly Lady ( I will talk about this in a min) the other day that made me go ah ha... The lady has 4 or 5 kids. She said that with all that laundry it was very overwhelming and she thought it was best to do all of it at once. Well that only made it worse. She realized that the best way to go about it was have a day for every load. Each child had their own basket and day for laundry. They also strip their bed on their laundry day.
Laundry is very overwhelming for me as well.  I have always gotten it done but then it never makes its way out of the basket. Then we have to dig through baskets or the couch to find what we are looking for. So I have made one chart that is for laundry. What day I
do what laundry. The girls each have their own side of their closet and now a basket as well (instead of the one to share.).  I hope that doing 1 or 2 smaller loads of laundry a day will help. Plus everything will get washed more often (ex. sheets, towels and wash rags, etc).

Flylady: First let me explain Flylady is a website (http://flylady.com/) that sends you daily assignments for around the house. She picks an area of the house each week. Then you have one assignment each day. They are really very easy things and don't usually take long to accomplish (her motto is in 15min you can do anything). And she also gives you one habit to do everyday for the whole month so that you can make it part of your routine. She also has a reminder on the emails for daily things that you should do. For example: swish and swipe, getting dressed from head to toe including shoes, and more.
So this months habit is Laundry-one load a day! This weeks area is the Kitchen. I highly recommend it to ppl. It really helps you establish a good daily habit and to get things done that you don't do on a daily basis.
So I have my daily reminders printed from Flylady and then my things to do for the week in the kitchen.

So this is what my Frig looks like now:


But I am totally ok with that bc I am ready to get this CHAOS under control. Until we make these things a habit I will do it!! Hopefully before long it will be habit and we want need the charts.

Please share what you have found helps you and your family to stay organized.  








No comments:

Post a Comment