Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Part 1 The rollercoaster

This is post 1 of 2 for today. I dont want this wild and crazy post to be in with a good post about this month. So hold on for the ride........ LOL!

So yesterday I check the mailbox and guess what is there.......... A letter from insurance where the hospital is billing for Kay's stay. Seriously!!! Insurance approved one day so far in PICU and I am not sure on the others yet. I called the insurance company and explained what had happened and ask what steps I needed to take. The lady was very nice. She told me that I needed to speak with the billing department at the hospital or wait for the eob and then get in touch with insurance and explain again.

I not only want the hospital to NOT bill our insurance for this but I want them to do something. I dont know what if anything can be done further. I called the hospital, after being transferred 4xs and explaining everytime, I finally spoke with a Nursing assist over the childrens er. She took down the info and said that her boss or someone higher would be contacting me.

I'm really not sure what to say to these ppl. I want them to understand my child was in icu bc they SCREWED up not bc she was that sick when we came in. I thought that there were procedures in place already that 2ppl had to check off on med. So does that mean 2 ppl messed up? If so then what can they do to fix it where it doesnt happen again. Unfortunely most medicines are based on a one dose fits all. Which I really dont like. There are exceptions to the rules. Kay is almost 5 and weighs 24lbs (after losing around 4lbs during this).  If you look at the directions on medicine bottles she fits in weight wise for a 2yr old. So did the PA base her dose on her age? Bc apparently no one had looked at her chart to see that she only weighed 11.6kilos and not 20kilos like most kids probably are at almost 5.

So how do I explain to the person that calls me back that they need to have something in affect were this doesnt happen to another child? How far do I push? Do I just make a complaint and hope that something is done? I do know that I am going to fight tooth and nail to make sure that this bill is not placed on us. We might have had to stay over night due to her not drinking and her dehydration but not in ICU for sure!!!

 I keep telling N our little girl could have died bc of this mistake!!! If we had walked out of the room for just a min or if I had been preoccupied and not noticed she would have! They did not have her hooked up on monitors so they would not have known. It was just by the grace of God that I was there and realized. I thought (and hoped) that after leaving the NICU (I will write about that in another post)we would never have to go through that again. It is the scariest thing watching a room fill in seconds to try to help your chid breath.

Nothing can explain the fear of seeing your childs lifeless body lying there in front of you. Just the thought of what happened to Kay makes me want to cry, scream, & to tear into the ppl that did this.
When we were in the hospital I kept my cool and my mouth shut (all but once) I guess bc my mind was just wrapped up in making sure she was ok. Now that we are finally making progress in her being on the uphill of this it is hitting hard. I know that ppl make mistakes, no one is perfect, but we trusted them to know what they were doing in taking care of our child. So what happened?

On a positive note Kay is doing so much better!!!! She is finally to a point where she is sleeping most the night and not needing so much meds during the day. We only had one minor melt down yesterday and so far none today. She is starting to pick up on her eating, although we are still trying to stay with easily chewed and shallowed food. (there has been alot of pasta around here!!)

This has been such a rollercoaster and I cant wait for it to end.

Ok so I am gonna get off my soapbox for now. Just pray that the right words come to me when I finally talk to someone about all of this. And I will post as soon as I hear something.

No comments:

Post a Comment